Buildings of any age are subject over time to weather conditions, ground shifting, warping, and more. Our structural inspection service offers an assessment and evaluation of the structural components of your building or home, including probing with an awl, measuring framing members, and limited excavation around the foundation. The determination of squareness, levelness, and plumbness can be included in such an evaluation. Soil investigation and invasive testing is generally not included unless otherwise recommended or designated in writing but is available should you request it. Other systems, such as plumbing, electrical, mechanical, or interior are also not evaluated as part of this evaluation, but may be discussed with your inspector.
When do you need a structural inspection?
- When there are cracks in the foundation or walls.
- When there is bowing or sagging in the walls and roof.
- Where there is carpenter ant, termite, or rot damage.
- When an appraiser perceives a structural defect.
- When a new building or home is under construction.
- When the mortgage company/bank requires an engineer’s opinion before writing the loan.
- When you or your client have a concern about the structural integrity of the building or home.
- When there is fire, flood, water or high wind damage.
If you suspect your building or home has any structural deficiency, contact Criterium-McCafferty Engineers to perform an evaluation before a small problem becomes more serious.